Search My Blog

Friday 15 April 2011

Liquid Emulsion Experiments

Here are some liquid emulsion experiments. The process is working better now and images are starting to appear on the materials. I have decided to complete the process in one go as I feel it works better rather than coating the material and leaving them to dry. That way the process is quicker and I know for certain that them light has not been turned on in the darkroom which can cause the emulsion to fog.

To ensure the emulsion has dried before I expose on to it I am using a hairdryer to dry it. Then I expose on to the material and soak it in the different chemicals. Through experience, I have learnt it works better if the material is left longer in the fixer to ensure the image is fixed and does not fog when I take it out into the light.

The tests below have started to stain. The brown stain grows and develops over time on to the materials. This can happen to artists using liquid emulsion, for example, David Scheinmann,

"The people who buy my work rightly expect the piece to, at least, outlive them and it's worrying to imagine that in a short period the work might develop a small brown stain that will then grow, almost like a cancer."

Reasons for the staining and fogging of the materials are shown on this link, also how to ensure it does not happen:

http://www.costaricacoffeeart.com/liquid_emulsion_problems_and_solutions.php








No comments:

Post a Comment