Search My Blog

Saturday 14 May 2011

Degree Show Preparation

For the degree show I need to decide how I would like to display my work. I have been reading a book by Shirley Reed, 'Exhibiting Photography: A practical guide to choosing a space, displaying your work and everything in between.' This has been helpful on different ways to exhibit my photographs.

Choosing a presentation method can depend on a number of things, for example, what is most appropriate to the work, image size, cost, protecting the image from damage and conservation of the print.

There are also other decisions that need to be made, whether the work needs a border or not, whether it needs a frame or not, whether to protect the image by sealing it or putting it behind glass or whether to spray or dry mount the image.

I also need to think about whether I would like to display text with my photographs and what I want the text to say. The texts for an exhibition could include my artists statement, title of the work or a caption explaining the work. Basic guidelines for writing text for an exhibition are:


Keep the text short. Too much text will distract the viewer from the artwork.

Keep text as straightforward and jargonfree as possible.

Make sure that basic and essential information is covered e.g. dates and names

Do not try to influence the reading of the work, critique it, interpret it or describe what is in the images. All these things can get between the viewer and their experience of the work.

I will be visiting some exhibitions this week to focus on the way the work is displayed and presented. Also I shall be reading the texts, if there is any, of the work and seeing which I think works best. I will be thinking about these questions; Do I read the text first or last? Do I feel I am not able to look at the work until I have read the accompanying texts? How different would the exhibition experience be if there were no texts provided?

No comments:

Post a Comment